Contact Lenses VS Glasses. Which Provides Better Vision?
The ability of your eyes to clearly view the objects can be affected due to many reasons. When you are unable to see clearly, it is an indication that you may be suffering from myopia, hyperopia, presbyopia or astigmatism. Contact lenses or glasses are what helps you correct this vision problem. But often there’s a confusion between contact lenses vs glasses. Following are some basic information of both contact lenses and glasses that can help clear your confusion.
Millions of people wear contact lenses daily for vision related issues. Lenses are thin and curved shaped transparent sheet that fits over the pupil of your eye. When the light reaches your eye, it passes through the lenses so that it can bend or refract at the desired angle. This refraction is adjusted by the number of the lenses. The optometrist in Edmonton will prescribe the number for your eyes on the basis of a comprehensive eye exam result.
There are various benefits of using a contact lens on a daily basis. Some of the benefits are:
- Lenses correct any type of vision problems
- Contact lenses enhance your visual appearance
- Easy to wear and remove
- Stays in place, unless you remove it
- Lenses do not fall and can be used while playing sports
- Fog does not accumulate on your lenses in cold temperatures
- There are various colors of lenses to choose from
- Contact lenses are unbreakable
Glasses are made of either glass or hard plastic mounted in a frame designed for eyes. They are also custom-made as per the prescription given by your optometrist. The light first passes through the glass and refracts and then it passes through your eyes to give you a clear view.
Below are some benefits of using glasses:
- Glasses correct all types of vision problems
- Glasses do not cause eye dryness
- Using them does not irritate your eyes
- Glasses do not get in contact with the eyes directly
- They last longer and do not need frequent replacements
- Glasses can be used by any age group, including infants
- Protects eyes from direct injury
- Glasses are very affordable
In the debate between contact lenses vs glasses, the winner is always the one which suits the user’s needs or preference. For some contact lenses may not be good for eyes, while others may be more comfortable using them. Contact an optometrist in Edmonton who will examine your eye and help you choose the better option between contact lenses and glasses.